Thursday, October 23, 2008

THE ‘TWANG GETS BUSTED

I have received word from Box.net, my mp3 hosting provider, that they’ve received multiple complaints that Detailed Twang is violating copyright by sharing some of the basement-level, pressing-of-400 punk rock, noise, and weird pop 45s we like to share here. Therefore, all of my files will be taken down by them on October 27th, 2008. Do what you need to do – there’s a lot of great music available. I started posting songs with the 1/27/07 post, and have been averaging 2 per week ever since then. I’m going to have to say goodbye for now as I figure out another way to bring you music, which typically is blessed ex-post-facto by the musical artists themselves. For any artists who’ve felt wronged by anything we’ve put up here, say the word and it will down in seconds (the sole time someone – METROPAK – complained, I had the song taken down immediately).

It’s not censorship, and it’s not something I have any right to complain about – the laws are the laws, but I reckoned we’d moved into a world where sites like mine were considered more of a flame-keeping blessing or “help” to the defunct artist than an actual hindrance to future royalties, real or imagined. As I understand it, there weren’t a lot of royalties associated with 45s by, say, the TIKI MEN, JOHANNA WENT or MONOSHOCK, to target my three most recent posts. But it is what it is. In the meantime, see you over at HEDONIST BEER JIVE and FIRST PRINCIPLES, two blogs of mine that violate no man’s laws, and perhaps only their sense of propriety.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'll lodge a complaint! "Your blog turns my speaker cone into a flame thrower". It figures that my penchant for getting 7"s from bands the week after they've broken up, not being able to find the street dive clubs and missing shows, and discovering sites just in time to have them systematically dismantled would continue on par for the course. I can't thank you enough for filling in gaps, especially the Desperate Bicycles and Nights & Days..it makes doing a radio show so much easier when you've got surplus fodder for the cannon!
-Sean, cap'n of the wayward plank Wires In The Walls in Estrogen Highs-land.

ONECHORD said...

wait a second... multiple complaints? what the heck! what's wrong with those box.net guys? did they go crazy or what?!!
i am totally sorry and shocked to know your site is gonna be shut down in few days. can't believe it, really, and it makes me really upset.
thanks to your site i discovered lots of brilliant music i'll never forget (i.e. maestros and dipsos!!!) and i'll be anxiously waiting to have future news from you pretty soon.

best wishes,
edu

Wah Hey said...

I downloaded a lot of great stuff from your blog. Thanks for putting this stuff out there. It was great while it lasted.

Tom
Berkeley

Brushback said...

I've read somewhere that it doesn't even have to be a label or a band that complains; a lot of times it's just a few trolls who have targeted numerous music blogs for the heck of it, and the file host never even questions the source of the complaint. Also, supposedly if you send an e-mail asking who made the complaint they have to tell you, though I don't know if that's true.

Box.net removed files of mine once without even asking first. I think it's interesting that they gave you a few days' notice.

Unknown said...

Crikey!

Carry on brave soldier of rock 'n' roll.

see you over at the JIve...

Anonymous said...

Fuck! I am sad (insert emo sob here)! I may not have written a lot of comments in your postings, but I've visisted your site almost every day and I will miss all the music that you've posted over the past few years. You turned me onto a lot of stuff that I missed the first time around when it originally came out. Bummer...

PB said...

Wasn't the Teddy and the Frat Girls single released by Alternative Tentacles? Can we point a finger at Jello?

You might want to explore DivShare if the Box is letting you down. They'll also let you embed files rather than having to navigate to a third party site.

Brushback said...

Do a Google search on "blogger taking files down". It seems lately now it's not just the file hosts that are deleting files-- now Blogger has been sending out take-down notices to music blogs.

Michael said...

"a lot of times it's just a few trolls who have targeted numerous music blogs for the heck of it, and the file host never even questions the source of the complaint."

Yeah, I think this is pretty common. Could be someone you've pissed off somewhere down the line. Perhaps on another blog. Perhaps in person. There are a lot of vindictive people out there.

I would hope/imagine that most artists/copyright owners at this level would just get in touch personally.

Thanks for the fine work, Jay.

Unknown said...

This matter smells a bit fishy, Jay. I would contact someone in charge and get the answers you deserve. Wouldn't be the same internet without Detailed Twang! Let me know if I can do anything. Best.

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot Jay for all your efforts & time. Luckily, I managed to see your boxnet 'cease, desist & delete' post on the last day & managed to download a few mp3s before they were taken down.