Friday, June 05, 2009

I’VE GOT A YEN FOR THE GIRLS

I’ve made no secret of the fact that I’m a total full-blown sucker for the large hooks, gum-smacking vocals and general bouncy feel of 1960s girl group music. The trashier and more “teen”-sounding, the better. I have a pretty good digital selection of this stuff, and I don’t post enough of it on this blog. I want each of you to become a fiend for this stuff the way I am – and I suspect that there’s still a few great reissued 60s girl group songs out there. There are so many compilations in the racks, some of dubious origin, and yeah, I’ve bought a lot of them. They almost always contain two or three mindblowers, and 28 boring toss-offs. I’m going to start posting some of the mindblowers for you here.

One of my all-time favorite girl songs is “Please Don’t Talk To The Lifeguard” by DIANE RAY. It first reached my ears on the Boyd Rice-curated "Music For Pussycats" compilation, and I've since found the song on at least two other CD collections - so it's out there if you need it. Or just download it here – but no matter how you come to it, it’s a glorious slice of total teen trash. My other selection today is not quite as buoyant, but arguably as good. I love the mournful “It Hurts To Be Sixteen” by ANDREA CARROLL – the backing rat-a-tang, rat-a-tang, too-tang too-tang really says it all about not growing up fast enough, doesn’t it? Enjoy these tracks – more are coming.

Play Diane Ray, “Please Don’t Talk To The Lifeguard”


Download DIANE RAY – “Please Don’t Talk To The Lifeguard”
Download ANDREA CARROLL – “It Hurts To Be Sixteen”

1 comment:

Sean said...

I did a broadcast last week..sort of an early ode to summer..and this cut was wedged somewhere between Husker Du and The Fastbacks...nice post!!