Tuesday, May 26, 2009

PSYCHEDELICO ULTIMA

(Note - this is a re-post from 2007 so you can download these amazing tracks again)

I make all these custom CD-R comps at home for myself, now that I’m commuting again and need new music in the car, and blank CDs are rapidly approaching a price point that enables them to be easily disposed of. In other words, at roughly 10 cents a pop, I can start making a CD, lose interest, botch the whole thing, take the CD out and snap it in two (before recycling it in an eco-friendly landfill, of course), all without too much of an impact to my bottom line. Remember way back in 2000 when a CD-R, which almost always came in its own case, was like $1.50 or more? I sure do. Anyway, one CD I’m working on is a “monstrous compilation of fuzzed-out world-destroying 60s psychedelic nuggets to fry yr brain”, or something like that. I don’t yet have the 20-25 absolute face-melting, mind-expanding, acid-damaged screamers that I need, though. It’s gonna be called Psychedelico Ultima, ‘cause that sounds kind of Spanish and rad. I know what the three lead tracks are going to be, though.

First’ll be THE TWILIGHTERS’ “Nothing Can Bring Me Down” for sure. This Texas howler from 1968 is just an incredible tune, later covered as you may know by PUSSY GALORE on their live album. Right on. Next’ll be “Cuttin Grass” by the CARETAKERS OF DECEPTION. Thank you Grady Runyan! 1968 on this one – read more about it here. Finally, the wah-wah crazy “On The Road South” by THE STEREO SHOESTRING will take you into the howling, sucking void & leave you there for good. Sound fun? It is. These are the three best psychedelic rock and roll songs America ever produced. I hope you agree.

Play The Twilighters, "Nothing Can Bring Me Down"


Download THE TWILIGHTERS – “Nothing Can Bring Me Down”
Download CARETAKERS OF DECEPTION – “Cuttin’ Grass”
Download THE STEREO SHOESTRING – “On The Road South”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I gratefully downloaded these gems when you first posted them a couple of years ago. Not quite in the same vein though not too far away is the first Index album from 1968. The last track – ‘Feedback’ absolutely beggars belief – don’t be fooled by the unremarkable start as all hell breaks loose about 45 seconds in. Would love to own the album but a download with have to suffice until then.