Friday, August 21, 2009

THE PRATS BELIEVE IN THE DISCO POPE

(This is a re-post from mid-2008)

I discovered THE PRATS, a ramshackle, quintessentially-DIY late 70s/early 80s Scottish group, just this past couple years or so on the “EARCOM 1” compilation. We posted those tracks here (but we need to re-post them due to them being removed a while back - don't worry, we will). If THE PRATS retired right then and there, they could leave the world knowing that they’d given the globe a primer into how to make much more with much less – less money, less quality, less capability, and less talent. Well somewhere along the way they went out and acquired a little talent. In 1980 THE PRATS released a 7”EP called “The 1990s Pop EP”. Now a jagged, well-recorded, thumping sort of post-punk band, The Prats gave their masterwork to the people in the form of the song, “Disco Pope”, which I’ve discovered this year. Every year I seem to find a new couple of obscurities that become among my all-time favorite songs, and this is the one for 2007-08.

Play The Prats, "Disco Pope"


2 comments:

M. Olzen said...

That´s a great song, found it on YT. I want...the lyrics cause I didn´t understand anything excepted a few words (thank you distortion).
Does one can help? M. Olzen

Onronc said...

Agreed. I would love to have a transcription.