Wednesday, October 10, 2007

CURSE OF THE BIRTHMARK – “WELCOME TO THE HARD TIMES, YOU’RE LATE” EP

This 2005, 5-song ear-pillager from San Francisco’s semi-active CURSE OF THE BIRTHMARK was the electro-zap my ass needed to get the foam coming out of the mouth again when I first heard it a little over a year ago. “Welcome To The Hard Times….You’re Late” is the sort of dark, aggressive “industrial rock” I used to envision in the early/mid 80s whenever I’d read about TEST DEPT. or EINSTURZENDE NEUBAUTEN or whatever, whom invariably let me down. C.O.T.B. did not let me down; on the contrary, this EP is full of frothing, electronics-filled no wave guitar, some absolutely thumping drumming, and enough bleeding ear tones to keep you in the isolation chamber for hours afterward. There’s a rabid, mysterious churner at the end of Side 1 called “Too Many Ministers” that I have not been able to stop playing for a year. They put out one other 45 that’s also quite good, and I think they’ve maybe played one live show in the past 365 days. I couldn’t go – I think I had to wash my hair or something. See if you’re up to the challenge by clicking on the links below.

Play or Download CURSE OF THE BIRTHMARK – “Welcome To The Hard Times, You’re Late”
Play or Download CURSE OF THE BIRTHMARK – “Show Yer Fangs”
Play or Download CURSE OF THE BIRTHMARK – “Too Many Ministers”
Play or Download CURSE OF THE BIRTHMARK – “Le Phant”
Play or Download CURSE OF THE BIRTHMARK – “Monster Imitates Car”

No comments: