Monday, June 18, 2007

ASTEROID GARAGE BOP FROM THE ETTES

One of my favorite tracks of the past year is “Reputation” from an LA mersh-garage act called THE ETTES. They say that they are a cross between “Nancy Sinatra + The Stooges + Thee Headcoats + Thee Headcoatees + The Strokes + The Sonics + The Rolling Stones + Compulsive Gamblers + Patsy Cline”. Well there’s at least a few ringers in there, aren’t there? So I got the CD and I wasn’t particularly thrilled by it – but I’ll admit I probably need to give it another spin or two before reflexively chucking it. But “Reputation” is a wowzer. Loud, over-amped multitracked vocals, a killer set of riffs, SIMPLY SAUCER-ish “space sounds”, and all knocking by in under two minutes. A great one, one that it’s hard not to play over and over and over. I’m certain you’ll agree.

Play or Download THE ETTES – “Reputation” (from “Shake The Dust” CD)

No comments: