Thursday, July 19, 2007

STROKE BAND – “FICTION/NON-FICTION”

THE STROKE BAND were a Valdosta, Georgia combo who put forth one 1978 LP and a 45 in their brief time on earth and no more. The long-playing record is called “Green And Yellow”, and there’s talk of getting a reissue going. Myself, I’ve never heard it, but I have heard and own a track from it called “Fiction/Non-Fiction” (courtesy of an old CD-R from the “Homework” series), and it’s one of the most killer slices of punk-era pop I’ve ever heard. Velvet vocals, strange time patterns, and plenty of bold moves that presage much of the Southern pop that would flow like so much wine in the years to come. Don Fleming, later of many DC-area bands like the Velvet Monkeys, was a member of this band, as was a guy named Bruce Joyner whose name I know from somewheres. Give this song a download and let’s start the reissue campaigning going so we can hear some more.

Play or Download THE STROKE BAND – “Fiction/Non-Fiction”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bruce Joyner was in The Unknowns....saw them open for The Cramps around 1981 (?).
Kinda creepy, kinda surfy, I bought their EP....but I haven't listened to it in years.
Maybe a cross between The Cramps and early Wall of Voodoo?

Anonymous said...

Yep. Scott beat me to it. I loved the Unknowns when I was a "kid". They had a great performance on New Wave Theater at the time. I wonder if it can be found on you tube... I really dug their EP and LP.

Bruce was an odd performer with a glass eye (I think) and a cane and he kinda moved like he had palsy when he sang (if he's the one I'm thinking of).

Anonymous said...

Yep. Here it is...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o7BGhL8hTac

Anonymous said...

I have a Bruce Joyner and The Unknowns 10", and I'd say the Cramps/WoV makes as much sense as anything. Pretty good stuff (if you're OK with a little new wave cheese).

-trickknee

Anonymous said...

My copy of Bruce Joyner and the Plantations' "Swimming with Sharks" showed a portrait of Mr. Joyner leaning on a cane. Didn't care for it at the time (bland garage rock) and unfortunately sold it. Fred Mills of The Bob was a big booster back in the 80's. Perhaps a revision is necessary?

Punk Business Manager said...

Thanks for posting this track- very nice song! Sorry I missed it when it was comped on one of those "Homework" volumes a few years back...

- TONY

Unknown said...

I played with Bruce in the band Out of the Fire back in the early 90s. Great performer, lyricist, and improviser--we had great times back then. Bruce lives in Atlanta and still performs with our old bandmate and buddy Tom Byars in the Reconstruction. He has recently been involved with Don again with the Reconstruction.

Bruce does indeed have a glass eye and uses a cane due to being partially paralyzed in a car accident in the early 70s. He is not in great health these days but hangin' in there.

I borrowed Bruce's copy of the Stroke Band back then to listen and I have a few of their rehearsal tapes he gave me--great stuff. I appreciate it way more now than I did then.
Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

Is there any chance of getting a re-upload of this?