Thursday, April 05, 2007

WILD SIXTIES PUNK TWOFER

No, not these guys – these guys are THE SONICS, still the standard-bearers for the form, but two low-circulation screamers from 1966, both of which are absolute monsters. Listen and marvel as the singer for the REASONS WHY goes absolutely apoplectic over a girl - quite possibly the most over-the-top, "savage" vocal performance of the day. Thrill to the stunning, wall-of-guitar intro to THE SPLIT ENDS' "Rich With Nothing", and then quietly add this to your mental list of the rawest & best 60s punk songs.

I know both numbers because of a bootleg LP called “I WAS A TEENAGE CAVEMEN” , yet both are also available on various semi-legit LPs and CDs as well. They’re also available right here, at no charge to the customer.

Download THE REASONS WHY – “Don’t Be That Way”
Download THE SPLIT ENDS – “Rich With Nothing”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great find! Downloaded and repeatedly played the Split Ends track last night and just could not get enough of it. Thought I may be getting carried away so had a night's sleep and then came back to it this morning. No, I'm still thinking it's one of the best things I've heard this year. The Reason's Why track isn't too shabby either but does sound a bit too close to the 13th Floor Elevator's You're Gonna Miss Me for it to really stand out. Time for me to buy a few 60's punk compilations.

Anonymous said...

Jay, I've got that comp too. It's a good 'un alright.

Anonymous said...

That's still the best garage comp. ever, even tho' it's basically a pebbles best-of mix tape...

Punk Business Manager said...

Great stuff! I just recently listened to the first five volumes of the "Back To The Grave" series so any raw 60's stuff is nice to hear. The vocals on the Reasons Why track are really great.

- Tony in Chicago

China said...

What a perfect post. A lot of the '60s garage posts I've seen on other blogs lately haven't had that Sonics-ish roughness, so this is quite refreshing for now. Love both!

Also, I just realized how early in the morning you post each day. Goodness.

Jay H. said...

China, you can fake out Blogger to post any time or day that you want, regardless of when you actually post. I write all the stuff over the weekend - most of the time - and then post it when I get into work later. If it says 7:45am, it was probably more like 9:30am.