Friday, March 30, 2007

BARBARA MANNING & SEYMOUR GLASS – “8s”

One of the first bands I followed with my then-frequent religious fervor when I moved to San Francisco in 1989 were WORLD OF POOH. Their bass & sometime guitar player BARBARA MANNING impressed me from the get-go with her lovely voice, totally off-beat, spiky sense of rhythm & song construction, and general falling-down, about to implode onstage persona (at least in that volatile band). I was an instant fan. I talked to her at one of their shows, probably late ’89, and she told me about this album she’d released called “Lately I Keep Scissors”; of course I went out & bought it, and I’m pretty sure that since that time I’ve owned every single piece of vinyl and/or CD with her name on it.

One great place to gain an overview of her oeuvre is the “Under One Roof” 45s collection, thought I’ll warn you that there are some mid-90s duds present that don’t really stand the test of time. One stunning track that does is one they inexplicably left off that collection. It’s called “8s”, and it came out on a limited 45 on the Majora label in 1992. Majora was an excellent label run out of Seattle, responsible for the bulk of the SUN CITY GIRLS’ 1990s stuff, along with great weirdo/noise/folk records from DADAMAH, EDDY DETROIT and LESLIE Q. The Manning single they put out was actually a team-up with SEYMOUR GLASS, the publisher of Bananafish magazine and a nominal noise musician in his own right, and also Manning’s longtime college buddy (Chico State, baby!). The song is haunting, distant and perfect – far better than the version that turned up the following year on an SF SEALS album. I’m still pretty bummed that Manning didn’t get her shot to participate in the 1990s female singer/songwriter financial sweepstakes & find a wider audience, but also pleased as punch that one reason she didn’t is she kept recording strange records with people like Seymour Glass, and always kept her songs one quirky step to the left of what was hitting big.

Download BARBARA MANNING & SEYMOUR GLASS – “8s” (from 1992 Majora 45)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I haven't listened to Barbara Manning in a long time. Come to think of it, she hasn't released anything in a long time. (Has it been over two years?) You have insprired me to dust off "Scissors" and "Under One Roof".

She strikes me as someone who could put together a pretty interesting book (fiction or non-fiction) if she was so inclined.

Code Red said...

Hey, I know this is of no link to Barbar MAnning but I know that you're a fan of Australian post punk so I wanted to give a new blog address which has started up http://impaneema.blogspot.com which is posting podcasts of said music and links to another couple of blogs with similar tastes.

Anonymous said...

anyone know if the WORLD OF POOH reissue is ever going to happen?