Saturday, January 27, 2007

TWO TRANSATLANTIC CUTIES

Finally figured out how to host mp3s on my site, so hey, welcome to a new era in DETAILED TWANG's evolution. I figure that this'll either be the total death knell of the site, or the free, quasi-illegal appleseeds that bring the kids back every week. We'll see. When I envisioned putting up some files a few months ago, I figured like everyone with a halfway decent mp3 blog that I'd try and reveal stuff that you probably haven't heard before, and/or stuff that's so out of print or tough to track down that you'll be friggin' stoked to finally be hearing it. I then thought about two 60s girl-group killers I discovered this past year, and how I'd like to teach them to the whole world. Here goes.

First up is "White Levis" by THE MAJORETTES, courtesy of DJ Chris Owen, a pal and a connoisseur of recorded musical wisdom. I heard him play this at gigs not once but twice, and both times bounded over to the "disc jockey booth" to ask who-the-f***-is-that?? I honestly can't tell you when it's from, but I know that it's a sly knockout of a song. Stupid saccharine fun from the sixties. I hope you like it. Better still is 1963's "Papa t'es Dans L'Coup" by French singer SHEILA, which may not clasify as a rarity per se, since it was sorta featured in the campy French comedy "Eight Women" a few years ago. Here's a YouTube link of her video for it, featuring some of the worst dancing and lip-syncing of all time. Both tracks are among the best 60s girl-pop smashes in my narrow world. We'll see what else we paste up here for ya next time. Enjoy!

Download THE MAJORETTES - "White Levis" 45
Download SHEILA - "Papa t'es Dans L'Coup" 45

(click on these links above, then download from the page the links take you to - or just play the songs there first)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't download the tunes. I should note for the record that I am an idiot.

Anonymous said...

never mind, I figured it out.

Anonymous said...

FAR OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been trying to find a copy of White Levis by the Majorettes for 42 F***KING years!!!! Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

FAR OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been trying to find a copy of White Levis by the Majorettes for 42 F***KING years!!!! Thanks!!!

Angelwithati2ed said...

Hello Just wanted to say Im so glad the majorettes are still being played and that I can now get it downloaded. This song is from 1964 and the group is my mother and aunts, members include JoAnna Page, Sheila Page, Rebecca Page and Susan Kuykendall. All of with are still around and doing well. If anyone has any more questions feel free to e-mail me. Angelwithati2ed35@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm the baby of the group, Rebecca. Questions at rpagemagic69@yahoo.com.